To our valued MOVE Bank members.
As you may have heard in the media, Optus has reported a serious security data breach. At this early stage what we know from announcements on the Optus and Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) websites is that following a cyber-attack, full identity details for an undisclosed number of current and former Optus customers was compromised.
The extent of the data breach for affected Optus customers is significant as the compromised data includes customers’ names, dates of birth, phone numbers, email addresses, and, for a subset of customers, addresses, ID document numbers such as driver's license or passport numbers. Optus has advised that payment details and account passwords have not been compromised.*
This is an evolving situation and given it could affect over 9 million Optus customers, we have implemented heightened security measures for our members.
The Australia Government’s Scam Watch suggest further steps to protect your personal information which include:
- Secure your devices and monitor for unusual activity
- Change your online account passwords and enable multi factor authentication for banking
- Check your accounts for unusual activity such as items you haven’t purchased
- Place limits on your accounts
- If you suspect fraud you can request a ban on your credit report. Also contact us as soon as possible.
- Never share your one time passwords. Please only enter your one time password if you are comfortable making the transaction.
- Keep your internet banking logins secure
- Do not click on links in emails or text messages if you are not sure of the origin
For more information, please visit the below links:
- Identity theft - https://moneysmart.gov.au/banking/identity-theft
- Identity fraud - https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/data-breaches/identity-fraud
We are receiving updates in regards to this situation often and will provide further information when it comes to light.
Have you been affected by the Optus data breach?
Notify us by emailing email@example.com.
This will assist our regular monitoring for any suspicious or fraudulent activities on your account.